St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
The renovations and additions for this 490 seat, Gothic-styled structure built in 1907 restored much of the original detailing. Based on photographs obtained from the church’s archives, the interior was restored with beaded board vaulted ceilings, detailed trim painting and gold leaf capitals, pine wood flooring, refinished original wood pews, refurbished altars and Stations of the Cross, and restored pendant light fixtures. A new gathering foyer, cry room, choir loft, organ, and an access stair were added at the front of the church with the front elevation completed replicated. A new limestone baptistry and font were added on the central axis of the church. A new communion sacristy, altar society, electrical and mechanical rooms were added at the back of the church. The original steeple, damaged and removed after a 1934 hurricane, was replaced with a new steeple which was replicated using archived photographs. A new annex and porte cochere utilize similar massing, detailing, and proportions and are connected to the church with a glassed wall connecting corridor. The church renovations and additions were part of a Master Plan completed by CJA.